ASHBURTON, Devon – St Andrew.
Organ case and pulpit 1911; War memorial 1919
The War Memorial of 1919 is one of the best examples of the architect’s many such memorials – his chief work following the death of two of his sons in the Great War. The centre panel contains a crucifix, set against a stencilled ground of maroon with gold decoration. It is framed by rich carving of vines, and the text beneath the crucifix reads (from St John’s gospel): Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. On either side of it are panels listing the names of those who gave their lives in World War One.
This memorial was originally placed in the Lady chapel, but is now in the Chapel of St. Thomas à Becket.
According to the late Gwen Fellowes-Prynne, one of George Fellowes Prynne’s sisters married parson Bond, who was vicar of Ashburton.