CAMBERWELL, Southwark, London – St Bartholomew.
Fixtures and fittings 1911
The church was designed in 1887 by W & E Tapnell Allen, but Pevsner quoted in his series Buildings of England that the arches were by Fellowes Prynne. If so, they were unlike any others of his. The pillars were of red sandstone, and the arches had three layers. The outside facing was of white stone, then behind it was a layer of red brick, and then a layer of alternate red and white bricks in blocks. Whilst the red and white block design is found elsewhere, it was the extra layer of red brick which was unusual, especially juxtaposed with red sandstone pillars.
Fellowes Prynne was known to have done work here in 1911. A grant was approved for new clergy vestry with organ blowing chamber beneath, and renewal of floors, 1910-1912.
In 1978 the parish was renamed that of St Bartholomew, South Bermondsey, and the last use of it was believed to be in 1982
The church was declared redundant in 1993, and demolished in 1994.
(Source of information: Former places of worship in the Diocese of Southwark, ref. CAM06.)