EALING, London – St Saviour’s Clergy House.
On 19 June, 1909, the Ealing Gazette and West Middlesex Observer reported on the laying of the foundation stone for the
… church house, club rooms and chapel for St. Saviour’s Church, Ealing. It is to be built in Tudor-Gothic style, with rooms for four clergy and the arrangements of the building will provide for a fine covered entrance to the main church at the rear. The architect is Mr. G. H. Fellowes Prynne, the designer of the church, and the builder is Mr. W. J. Dickens, whose tender amounted to £4,100.
The matter of money available led to the architect being instructed to give notice to the builders not to build the top storey until funds were confirmed. But there was the view that if the top storey had to be left out
…the beauty of the building will be marred, and its usefulness greatly lessened, for the chapel will be an invaluable church asset for confirmation classes and guild social gatherings; and over and above that, the rooms provided for a club caretaker will have to be omitted.
It would appear that the building was indeed completed to the architect’s design.
The Ealing Civic Society pressed successfully for English Heritage (EH) to award listed status to the Clergy House at St Saviour’s. The Society noted that the building:
…was completed in 1909, having been designed by George H Fellowes Prynne, a notable architect who was in great demand at the time.
Their report also quoted EH’s comment that:
…the building is “well designed in a hybrid Gothic Revival and Arts and Crafts manner to a good quality and is remarkably intact.”