EALING, London – Town Hall.
Fellowes Prynne’s plans of 1927 to extend the existing Town Hall to the east were carried out, largely as designed, in 1930. The final build incorporated a modification in the council chamber to comply with the Ministry of Health’s reduction in the permitted cost from £70 000 to £64 000 and for acoustic reasons. By all accounts its design impressed the community. To quote from the Middlesex County Times of 1 November 1930:
The central feature of the new building comprises an entrance hall on the ground floor with a grand staircase leading to the council chamber on the first floor. The entrance hall…is separated from the staircase by an oak Gothic screen… The entrance doors have carved and traceried panels with a fanlight in the arch over… In the grand staircase, the entrance hall and the first floor corridor to the council chamber is a marble dado, 3ft. 6 ins. high, the skirting of which is in Belgian black, the dado in Lunel and the capping in Napoleon. There are wrought iron stair rails with a bronze handrail. The floors… are in Roman mosaic.