EARLS COURT, Kensington and Chelsea, London – St Matthias
Lady Chapel altar 1886
The Survey of London, volume 42, gives information about Fellowes Prynne’s accredited, and probable, activity here.
This church was built in 1869-72, and demolished in 1958. In 1886, an altar, designed by George Fellowes Prynne, was dedicated in the Lady Chapel, followed by a painted reredos (for which the painter is not accredited) – assumed also to have been in the Lady Chapel. Further adornments were added in the early 20th century, including a wooden chancel screen and Rood (1902), choir stalls (1903) carved by Harry Hems of Exeter, and a pulpit with wooden figures, stated in the survey as “probably also carved by Hems.” The involvement of Harry Hems suggests that Fellowes Prynne may have been involved in the design of these pieces also. See illustrations below.