ILFRACOMBE, Devon – Holy Trinity.
Restoration 1899; Seymour Memorial 1909; Additions 1922-24
For the restoration, the chancel was restored and enlarged, the stalls designed, and the dormer windows were restored.
These dormer windows are an interesting feature, and mark the original position of the rood screen. The carving was placed under Fellowes Prynne’s remit, replacing wooden infill boards. They allow for natural illumination of the decorative roof during daylight hours. Pevsner said of them:
To make this [ceilure] and the screen visible, 2 dormer windows are inserted, one N. and one S. these were remade in 1899 (Fellowes Prynne), but must have existed at least as early as the mid 18th century, and so probably are an original feature.
On 9 December 1909, the North Devon Journal reported on the dedication of the memorial to Archdeacon Seymour. We are told that Mr Fellowes Prynne, the designer, was present, and the brass tablet on white marble base was made by Messrs Martyn and Co., of Cheltenham.
The additions of 1922 were panelling of the War memorial and a Litany desk
The additions 1924 were:
- oak fittings to chapel
- platform and step for altar rails
- oak altar, 4 oak riddels, 2 angels on front posts (Lady chapel)
- panelling on east wall (but NOT the angels)
All this work was carried out by Messrs Dart and Francis. Some information on costs and estimates was obtained from their archive, before it was destroyed in a fire.
24 Mar 1922 panelled War Memorial
6 Dec 1922 drawings of panelling and litany desk returned
25 July 1924 oak fittings to chapel:
platform and steps for altar rails, altar, oak screen etc – £87
oak altar £60
4 oak riddels, 2 angels on front posts £68
panelling at east £60
Total £400 if all done together.
An article in the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette, of 12 December 1919, implies that Fellowes Prynne may also have designed a memorial to be placed in the town. The short article reads:
The vicar (the Rev. H. M. Johnson) presided at a meeting held in the Town Hall, when it was decided to place in the parish church, as a memorial to local men who fell in the war, a brass tablet, presented on a black marble base. The names of the fallen will be inscribed on the tablet. A cross of Cornish granite will be erected either in Church-street or at the top and to the left of the broad steps leading from Church-street to the churchyard. It was decided to ask Mr. Fellowes Prynne, the well-known ecclesiastical architect, to supply the necessary specifications.