LANDULPH, Cornwall, St Leonard and St Dilpe.
This restoration did not include the tower.
A History of the ancient parish of St Leonard and St Dilph, Landulph by Andrew Mark Berrett gives the following information.
By the end of the nineteenth century the church had reached a deplorable condition, and was in desperate need of restoration. The north aisle was in danger of collapse, the nave arches were leaning heavily and rain poured through the roof during wet weather… A meeting was held in May 1900, and a group of parishioners ‘agreed to do all in their power’ to raise the £2,058 needed to undertake the restoration…
Mr Fellowes Prynne was commissioned as architect and work commenced, which included rebuilding the north wall, repairing the roof and windows, adding dormer windows, and a Delabole slate floor. During the works the old north doorway was rediscovered, and the 13th Century piscina reinstalled by the altar.
Part of one of the defaced murals of our two patron saints was rediscovered, but unfortunately not enough to warrant preservation.
The panels of the lower pews were repositioned along the west wall and the old box pews were dismantled, preserving the medieval bench ends…
The church reopened on Tuesday, May 27th 1902…
Although the bulk of the restoration work had been completed, further improvements were undertaken during the early 20th century…
The Builder of 7 June 1902 recorded the re-opening of Landulph church, with details, as follows:
This church, which has undergone considerable restoration, was reopened on the 27th ult. In the work of restoration care has been taken not to introduce anything which would not harmonise with the ancient parts. The north wall had gone so much out of the perpendicular that it was found necessary to pull it down and replace it stone by stone. The fine old windows and the walls and roof outside have been thoroughly repaired. In the course of the restoration of the north side a doorway was discovered which had been plastered up. This has now been thrown open. In the interior the old oak ceilings of the aisles have been repaired. That of the nave is entirely new. Six dormer windows have been placed in the roof, and these much improve the lighting of the church. Near the altar have been discovered the places where in olden days the holy vessels were cleansed, and these interesting receptacles are to be thoroughly restored. The fifteenth century rood screen, on which is some very fine carving, is likewise to be renovated, and the old rood steps are still intact. The seats of the church had fallen into a ruinous state, and they have been removed and chairs substituted. Portions of the old seats are to be used in constructing screens for the chancel. The tower has been opened up, and the floor has been repaired with Delabole stone and wood. Altogether the renovations will cost £2,058. The architect was Mr. G. Fellowes Prynne.
Observation suggests that the Rood figures may have been new, as opposed to renovated, and much of the screen also. Observation points to the altar and altar rails being likely to be to Fellowes Prynne’s design. Confirmation is needed.
The website documenting the work of the crafters the Pinwell Sisters suggests that George Fellowes Prynne may have designed a font cover, as well as the scheme for restoring the screen alluded to in the article from The Builder, but that these were not carried out until after he had died. Observation certainly suggests that the font cover in particular is one of his designs.