LITTLEHAM, Exmouth, Devon – St Margaret and St Andrew.
Lych Gate 1901; South Windows enlarged 1911
The Exmouth Journal of 2 November 1901 reported on the new Lych Gate.
The new structure is of English oak, roofed with oaken shingles and surmounted by a cross. It stands upon a base of axed granite and local sandstone, in keeping with the material used in building the church… The designs for the gate were prepared by Mr. G. Fellowes Prynne, architect, and the work has been carried out by Mr. W. Dart, builder, of Crediton, who completed the contract for the restoration of Littleham Church in 1884.
This date of 1884, and the association with Mr Dart of Crediton (who in the firm of Dart and Francis carried out many contracts for the architect) suggests that possibly Fellowes Prynne may have been involved in this church early in his career. As he was from South Devon, this is entirely possible.
In 1911 Fellowes Prynne enlarged the South windows, and he also designed the stained glass for the “Three Marys” window, which was fashioned by Percy Bacon Brothers. Plans were also drawn up for a new organ case and altar for the chapel on the north side and, it would seem, full restoration of the chancel and sanctuary.