NORTHLEW, Devon – St Thomas. 

Restoration of preaching cross 1900

The Builder of 28 July 1900 reported on the restoration:


On the 20th inst. at North Lew, a village situated upon the northern fringe of Dartmoor, the Bishop of Bristol, preceded by the choir, and a number of the local clergy in their robes, marched with banners from the parish church to the old preaching cross in the market-place, which has just been restored by Messrs. Harry Hems & Son, of Exeter, under the superintendence of Mr. G. H. Fellowes Prynne, architect.  The cross was originally erected by the missionary Benedictine monks of the Abbey of Saints Mary and Runon at Tavistock, and is in the main of thirteenth-century work.  The shaft is new, and is formed of a monolith of grey Dartmoor granite.

This cross now stands in the village square.

The postcard shown of the preaching cross was posted on 21 December 1915.