ROEHAMPTON, Wandsworth, London – Gifford House.
Renovation and Enlargement
It has been said that the finest example of Fellowes Prynne’s domestic work was the renovation and enlargement of Gifford House. Indeed, the obituary to the architect carried in his local paper in 1927 saw fit to provide a description of his work on this building, which was itself lifted from this article in Examples of Modern Architecture.
Amongst the very extensive additions and alterations made to Gifford House for Mr. J. D. Charrington, Esq., the most important was the building of the new Ball and Music room, the internal dimensions of which are 65 ft. by 32 ft by 18 ft. 10 ins in height. The bay window at the Northern end opens on to a verandah and looks out on to extensive grounds and a lake, while the window at the Southern end opens into a large conservatory, with a Fountain in the centre. The centre of the room is lighted by an ornamental glazed dome, and at night by hidden electric lamps. A musicians’ platform is placed on the East side, and an elaborately sculptured statuary marble Mantel, and Fire-place with gallery over, on the West side. The floor is narrow boarded, and on springs. the general scheme of decoration is in cream, blue and gold, with wall pilasters of Alabaster.
The original house of 1770, in a park, was demolished in the 1950s to make way for a council estate at Innes Gardens, Putney Heath.
Some of the adornments Fellowes Prynne designed for this house were fashioned by the firm of H. H. Martyn of Cheltenham.