SOUTH TAWTON, Devon – St Andrew.
Screen, parclose screens etc, and Lych Gate 1902; Vestry and heating chamber 1903
The screen was described thus in the 1966 edition of the church guide book, written by Charles K. Burton, M.A., using research by Miss Ethel Lega-Weekes, F.R.Hist.S.
The bays are very lofty with slender spiral mullions; the tops of the lights are filled with fine tracery with pierced spandrels and set in a rectangular frame. The cornice has a double row of fruit and leaves surmounted by a cresting. The screen encloses the chancel and chapels, but is not continuous, being fitted between the piers of the nave. In the centre stands a floriated cross, with pedestals for figures on each side, but the figures are wanting; probably the designer of the screen contemplated their being present, for the cross itself adds to the height of the screen, whereas the addition of figures would make the screen appear broader.
For the vestry, the faculty petition quoted a price of £500, but the eventual bills were more than twice that.
On 30 March 1908, George Fellowes Prynne’s personal bill was presented:
Complete design and details for new lych gate; vestry; organ case; parclose screen south side; tower screen; rearrangement of heating; restoring & replastering aisle walls; rearrangement of altar rails; new gate to farm from churchyard; arranging for new clock dial.
Entire supervision throughout, including 16 visits to South Tawton.