SWANNINGTON, Leicestershire – St George.
The work here involved a new Chancel, and extension of the east end, and a new choir vestry and porch.
The Builder of 7 May 1904 reported that
The new chancel and restored portions of St. George’s Church, Swannington, were dedicated on St. George’s Day. The architect for the work was Mr. G. H. Fellowes Prynne, of London.
The chancel has some impressive carved roof bosses, and it gives an imposing approach to the high altar. The floors were re-done, with typical mosaic tiles in the sanctuary, and red tiles in the chancel. Externally Fellowes Prynne’s addition is obvious in that it is of red brick, and carries the usual details on the roof and external pillars. The roof is steeper-pitched here than for the rest of the building.
Some photos and more information on the history of the church can be seen at Church of England – St George’s Church | Swannington Heritage Trust (swannington-heritage.co.uk)