TOTTENHAM, Haringey, London – Christ Church Institute, West Green.
The Builder of 24 December 1892 reported on the opening of the new Parish Institute at Christ Church, West Green, on 7th December 1892.
The building, which is built at the north-east corner of the site upon which the church stands, is of simple oblong form, and is designed by request to be somewhat in keeping with the Church. The main entrance leads into a lobby, with cloakroom, lavatory, &c. A double-glazed door divides this lobby from the large ground-floor parish-room or hall, 80 ft. by 34 ft. A raised platform with ladies’ and gentlemen’s dressing-rooms on either side is placed at the south-end of the hall. Two double door exits are placed in the west and east sides of the room, all doors being made to open outward. A door at the back of the platform gives direct communication with the caretaker’s house, and also forms a convenient private entrance for performers, besides allowing for the possible use of the rooms in the caretaker’s house. In the front of the platform are sliding doors so that the space under can be used for scenery or other theatrical effects. The hall ceiling is entirely match-boarded for acoustic reasons. The brick walls are colour washed with a warm cream colour, the red brick dressings in the jambs and arches and the stone sills to the windows being kept their natural colour. The room is lighted by hanging pendants and will accommodate from 800 to 900 persons. The architect is Mr. Geo. H. Fellowes Prynne, of Westminster, and the contractor Mr. Percival Hart, of West Green.