WADDESDON, Buckinghamshire – St Michael.
East window 1906 and possibly other work
The obituary to Fellowes Prynne in the West Middlesex Gazette states that this church is one where he worked. The exact nature of Fellowes Prynne’s work here, other than the window design, has not yet been established. This location is also mentioned in the advertisement for the firm of Chas. P. Kinnell in Examples of Modern Architecture, suggesting that they installed a heating system at Fellowes Prynne’s behest.
The organ case and choir stalls of 1901 (according to an article in the Bucks Herald on 1 June 1901) and the chancel screen of 1902 are the work of Harry Hems. This would point to their having possibly been designed by Fellowes Prynne – Hems being one of his regular contractors. Searches by the Oxfordshire Archives, who hold faculties for this church, turned up nothing mentioning Fellowes Prynne’s name. However, the faculties found were from 1891,1915, 1921 and 1927, which leaves open the possibility that the screen was indeed designed by Fellowes Prynne. Bear in mind also that he was the diocesan architect for the Oxford diocese for many years.
It is known that he did design and supervise the installation of a window, as reported in The Builder of 25 August 1906.
Window, Waddesdon Church, Aylesbury –
The east window at this church has just been filled with stained glass; it consists of three lights and tracery. Our Lord in majesty is represented in the upper part of the centre light, with the figure of St, Michael under, while in the left light at the top is the Virgin Mary and S. John with David and Isaiah underneath, the right light having S. Joseph and S. Mary Magdalene in the top part and S. Peter and S. Paul below them. Angels are shown in the tracery. This work was designed and executed by Percy Bacon and Brothers, of London and Edinburgh, under the supervision of the architect, Mr. G. H. Fellowes Prynne.