WINCHESTER, Hampshire – St Bartholomew, Hyde.
Screen 1908; Pulpit 1910; Sanctuary 1912-14
Hyde is very much a village within the City of Winchester, and like many villages, it has an historic church. George Fellowes Prynne’s contribution to its legacy is his splendid oak rood screen, presented in 1908. It is more similar in appearance to St. Columb Major than to Henley, and has a text as at St. Columb Major, but the English version rather than the Latin. The tracery is considerably heavier in appearance than either of the two just cited. Features of the carving and tracery are picked out in gilding, to give glorious opulence to the whole structure.
Furthermore, the rood and figures of this screen are especially magnificent, in pear wood, with the scene depicted on either side of the podium on which the rood stands. One side shows two angels kneeling, with the chalice and host depicted above the IHS symbol for Christ’s name. On the east facing side, effectively the back of the screen, the detail is no less exquisite, with kneeling angels bearing a shield depicting the lamb and flag emblem. It should be noted that the text and gilding are also executed to equal effect on the east-facing side of the screen as on the west.
The pulpit is very much typical, in oak with fine detailing and carved figures.
The sanctuary includes panelling similar to that at Takely, and the reredos is flanked by iron riddels with curtains. The existing altar is not contemporary with this work. Fellowes Prynne also designed the organ case, and the marble, granite and mosaic flooring, which was laid by his usual contractor, H. C. Tanner.